21 Oct
Courgette rolls filled with saffron and spice cauliflower and broad beans

Courgette rolls filled with saffron and spice cauliflower and broad beans

I’m chuckling at how my parents and their peers see people who are a little bit chubby, or fuller figured and consider them healthy and happy. Being slightly rotund is a mark of a good life, apparently. Whenever I experience fitness class success, my mum looks at me worriedly, telling me that I need to put on weight because I need ‘energy’. Ok mum.

This is the season where I become festively fatter. Diwali involves a lot of gorging on a ridiculous amount of sugary and deep-fried treats. As we visit family members at each of their homes to offer them seasons greetings, we are offered sweets and crispy treats and that’s what we fill up on. Deep fried rice flour Catherine wheels , deep-fried dumplings filled with a sweet and nutty mixture, deep-fried brown bean popadums…

Then comes Christmas and I always seem to eat the most massive number of roast potatoes; I really love them. Pastry and cheeses are consumed in generous portions in our house and oh, the sugar. I’ve already started stocking up on the drinks which I always see as hidden calories. Nibbles; they’re dangerous too…I rarely remember how many of those mini chocolates I’ve eaten, let alone crisps and cheesy things.

So this season, I am publicly declaring my intent (yes, intent) to be more kind to my body. Now, I am not saying that I’m going t have a skinny Diwali and Christmas. What’s the point of that, they only come around once a year. What I am saying that I’m going to include some healthier stuff! I’m going to include canapés that are not deep-fried and they will taste good! Do you want to join me?

These pretty looking rolls, light, colourful and unusual. The courgette is raw, which allows that crispy gorgeousness. A bit of saffron does the job of giving colour, aroma and decadence. The filling is crumbly, lightly cheeses a wee bit spicy. You can make them fresh, or keep them in the fridge for a couple of hours, ready for guests to arrive. These are certainly different, give them a go!

Ingredients for 15-20 rolls

200g cauliflower florets
125g broad beans, thawed
One large red chilli, finely chopped
30g grated mature cheddar
4 pinches of saffron infused in 1 tbsp of warm water
3/4 tsp toasted cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
2 medium-sized courgette or one very large one

1. Boil the cauliflower and broad beans for 5-6minutes, then drain and empty into a food processor
2. Add the cumin seeds, chilli, salt, saffron, coriander powder and cheese
3. Blitz the mixture until it is grainy
4. Take a peeler and make wide peelings on the courgette, one peel at each side of the courgette until it wears too thin
5. Line the courgette peel with two tbsp of the stuffing and then roll it up.

Serve either immediately or keep it in the fridge for a couple of hours in advance of your guests arriving.

I am entering this made from scratch Courgette rolls filled with saffron and spice cauliflower and broad beans to Javelin Warrior’s Made with Love Mondays.

image

12 Responses to “Canapés ? Courgette rolls filled with saffron and spice cauliflower and broad beans”

1. Deb October 21, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

Love the idea of an appetizer low in fat yet rich in flavor! Bring on the holidays, as there is no stopping the marching of time!

• Deena Kakaya October 21, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Hi Deb! I hope you’ll try this one out! I just got one out of the fridge, it has been the for a few hours and it tasted even more of saffron. Mmm…guilt free munching is fun! X

2. Javelin Warrior October 22, 2013 at 2:23 am #

I love the idea of a delicious appetizer that’s also healthy and beautiful. These sound lovely – and simple enough to make!

• Deena Kakaya October 22, 2013 at 7:00 am #

Hi Mark, great to see your encouraging comment! I think they look pretty too and they are much leaner than what we usually see festivities! I’m going to mix up the naughty and healthy ones and I’m sure both will taste gorgeous! X

3. thelittleloaf October 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

These look absolutely delicious! I’ve made a courgette canape from the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook which was delicious – these look even better 🙂

• Deena Kakaya October 22, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Kate, great to see you on here, thank you so much for stoping by! I’m really impressed with these fresh, light and crunchy rolls…they are delicate in flavour and an unusual little parcel, I hope you’ll try them out xx

4. Jeanne @ Cooksister October 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Aaah, I wish I lived in a culture that valued the fuller figure… 😉 Love these canapés – I don’t think people eat enough raw courgettes!

• Deena Kakaya October 23, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

Hi Jeanne! It is so lovely to see a comment from you; thank you.

Ha ha, I think it’s just my mum and her aunts, my cousins are mostly either slender or aiming to be!

Raw courgette is surprisingly lovely isn’t it, mild, crunchy and very easy to eat. I hope you’ll try these out xx

5. rika@vm October 23, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

The ingredient cauliflower seems to work with everything else from this gorgeous canape to sweet dessert cream, and even rice 🙂

• Deena Kakaya October 23, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Hello! So lovely to see a comment from you. Yes, funnily enough the cauliflower does tie these crispy rolls and the other ingredients together. I hope that you’ll try them! X

6. veggiereviews October 23, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Wow …wow this is fantastic Deena. We love original recipes and this is definetly one of them. It is rare to see raw courgettes in a recipe however this is Lovely to imagine the crispy courgettes against the soft textured cauliflower and broad bean. How were you inspired to make this?

• Deena Kakaya October 24, 2013 at 12:08 am #

Hello veggie reviews! Great to hear from you. Thank you fir your kind words and i am so glad that you like this recipe. Raw courgettes aren’t tough to chew, they are vey mild and have a gentle bite . I wanted a mellow and naturally scrumptious canapé that is pretty healthy and not deep fried over over loaded with cheese. Cauliflower has a naturally light and crisp flavour and works really well to hold together the other ingredients as well as the light abs fragrant spices. Saffron works amazingly well in this dish! Please try it 🙂