A scoop of Diwali – pineapple, cinnamon and red chilli frozen yoghurt

31 Oct
pineapple, cinnamon and red chilli frozen yoghurt

pineapple, cinnamon and red chilli frozen yoghurt

It’s Diwali. Flickering, gentle lights and decorated candles, bright colours and brighter smiles. Plentiful food and swelling cheer and seeing cute little kids over excited about fireworks and men displaying firework related bravado. Excitable aunties make a big deal of cleaning and men semi-snooze away. There’s always way too much sugar on display.

Impractical heels and frozen toes, pretty sari’s but now trending to flowing indian dresses. Visiting home to home of various relatives and receiving hugs and sweets. Everyone talks in raised sing-song tones, there’s something special in the air. And what about all those Diwali functions…dinner and dances and the parties? Are you going to any of those?

What’s my favourite thing about Diwali? I love that people are, even for just a couple of days, in really good spirits and that they are nice to each other. They take the time and effort to give good wishes and say positive and warm things. I also love that I get to see family members whom I don’t see on a regular basis. I love standing in a bustling and cold street filled with Asian shops and restaurants and eating steaming hot samosa or chilli chips with my friends and family. I love impromptu meals out and huge frothy ice cream milkshakes.

Although the open door policy does have its downfalls. When I was a kid one of our neighbours had become mentally very unstable. On Diwali day, our front door was flung open as aunts and uncles came in and out. I walked into the living room to find her just sitting there. She told my mum, utterly calmly that be had come to stay the night and would like her to vacate her bedroom.

Diwali is a real feast of the senses. The iced cold weather and then warming up with spices and central heating. The colours the charm, the music…and that’s what I have tried to capture in my recipe today. The icy yoghurt has a lightly sour tang, because its yoghurt. It’s sweet with pineapple and sweetener. The chilli adds a perplexing heat and I’ve added a touch of cinnamon, so the fragrance is festively sweet. Give it a go, it’s an impressive Diwali treat.

Ingredients

One medium pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
5-6 tbsp caster sugar
3-4 tbsp agave nectar
One red chilli, finely diced or minced
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
700ml plain natural yoghurt
300ml whole milk
2 tsp lemon juice

1. Put the pineapple, chilli and sugar with the cinnamon into a non stick pan and heat on a medium flame until its pulpy. Turn it off the heat and blitz it to a grainy texture in a food processor until its cool.
2. Whisk the yoghurt, lemon juice and milk until its smooth, then add the pineapple mixture. Turn it into an ice cream maker and churn it until it looks creamy and smooth. Either serve the frozen yoghurt immediately or freeze it for later
3. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the yoghurt mixture for a couple of hours, then whisk it to break up the crystals. Do this every 2-3 hours until its frozen.

I am entering this into Made With Love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior

image

spice-trail-badge-square

27 Responses to “A scoop of Diwali – pineapple, cinnamon and red chilli frozen yoghurt”

1. eastofedencook October 31, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

A breathtaking array of flavors for a perfect celebration dessert!

• Deena Kakaya October 31, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Hello lovely one, how are you? I love this combo, it happened by accident! I hope you’ll try it xx

2. lizzygoodthingsLizzy November 1, 2013 at 2:50 am #

Oh, what an exquisite sounding recipe! I love you site! So glad to have met you xo

• Deena Kakaya November 1, 2013 at 8:08 am #

Lizzy you are so kind, what a lovely message to wake up to. Please keep coming back xx I’m enjoying your site too! Great to connect with you xx

3. Heena November 1, 2013 at 8:54 am #

An interesting combination! Perfect for New Year’s Day celebrations as well. I will definitely be trying this receipe in a few days.

• Deena Kakaya November 1, 2013 at 8:57 am #

Thanks Heena! It is so strange and wonderful, please send me a pic when up try it. Happy Diwali xx

4. laura_howtocook November 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

I love this idea, as a big chilli fan this must be an ideal flavour frozen yoghurt for me. Always goes so weel with pineapple & coconut too 🙂

• Deena Kakaya November 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

Hello Laura! Thanks so much for stopping by. This one feels so different and to be honest it’s just great to have something a bit healthier during the festive season! It’s been lovely to see the confused and pleased expression on the faces of Diwali guests and funny enough, one had coconut on top of theirs! Have you had a chance to see my other chilli recipes over the last couple of week (I’m on a chilli frenzy) xx

5. Javelin Warrior November 1, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Wow, this sounds fantastic! And it’s beautiful too, Deena. The red chile is especially intriguing to me – a wonderful warmth against the cold of the frozen yogurt…

• Deena Kakaya November 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Thanks Mark! This recipe happened by accident, but it turned out to be a happy one 🙂 total play on the senses…I’m chuffed with it xx

6. Veggie Reviews November 1, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

Looking forward to trying this one Deena.. We will re-blog this one for sure.

• Deena Kakaya November 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Oh I hope you enjoy it! It really is oddly sensational x

7. Ganga108 November 2, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Oh how interesting! I never would have thought of chilli in icecream. xx

• Deena Kakaya November 2, 2013 at 10:23 am #

Hello! It’s so good to see a comment from you 🙂 it’s really an unusual play on the senses, I hope you’ll try it x

8. Vanesther November 5, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

My mouth is absolutely watering thinking about these flavour combinations! A perfect entry for this month’s Spice Trail challenge – thanks for sharing 🙂

• Deena Kakaya November 5, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

Hi Vanesther! Great to hear from you. Oh I’m glad you like it…it’s unusual but fabulously good x

9. goodforya November 7, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

The ice cream looks awesome… I am so inspired to try this one out. I love pineapples with chillies. It is the best combination ever and with frozen yoghurt I can only imagine how it will taste. Thank you for sharing.

• Deena Kakaya November 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

Hello! Thanks so much for your lovely comment, I’m so pleased you like the look of this one. It’s a really wonderful play on the senses…it went down really well. If you try it, please send me a pic to share on the Facebook group xx

10. mamta November 7, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

Hi – looks amazing, but when do you add the agave nectar?
    thanks
    Mamta

• Deena Kakaya November 7, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

Hi Mamta, thanks for stopping by! I will amend the recipe, but it goes into the pineapple mix when the pineapple is cooked and cool and before you churn it. Hope that helps x

11. Chef Mireille November 9, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

OMG – loving the flavors in this one… Would love if you have any recipes with chiles to post to my blogging event here:

thanks

• Deena Kakaya November 10, 2013 at 7:23 am #

Hi there! Yes, I was pretty pleasantly surprised by this one! It’s gone down so well. I recently did a lychee and chilli dipping sauce and a homemade chilli oil with an Indian accent, did you see them?

Thanks so much for stopping by x

12. Eat Your Veg November 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

What a super-interesting ice cream recipe! And packed full of fruit and not too much sugar which is always good. Loving the chilli kick addition! Would love to try it. Slurp!.

• Deena Kakaya November 14, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Hi, thanks for your lovely comment Louisa! It’s incredible what you can do with some yoghurt, fruit and of course chilli! It’s really a strange one, but totally tantalising! I hope you really enjoy it xx

1. Pineapple, Chilli and Coconut Yoghurt | deenakakayaphotos - October 31, 2013

[…] CLICK HERE TO READ MORE…. […]

2. The Spice Trail: a new monthly event for food bloggers « Bangers & Mash - November 5, 2013

[…] Pineapple, Cinnamon & Red Chilli Frozen Yoghurt from Deena Kakaya […]

3. The Spice Trail: your favourite chilli recipes « Bangers & Mash - December 2, 2013

[…] Pineapple, Cinnamon & Red Chilli Frozen Yoghurt from Deena Kakaya […]