Festive nibbles- broad bean and paneer fritters

27 Nov

Festive nibbles- broad bean and paneer fritters

It took three of us to shell broad beans very quickly, whilst the oil rose to the correct temperature. There is a knack to it. My technique is different to my husbands; I pinch them lightly at the base, until the silky broad bean pops out whilst my husband thinks he’s mastered it by using two hands and creating a little slit. Don’t ask.

The reason for removing the skin is to take the bitter layer away and to leave a silky, sweet and nutty bean. The three of us concentrated quietly as we secretly competed to pop the most beans out of those shells. I reflected on what had inspired this recipe and smiled.

Everyone loves a good fritter. For me they are the ultimate picky food. Whether they evoke memories of eating paneer pakora in the monsoon rain during holidays to India, or falafels being fried in huge quantities by friendly chefs who rolled them off their hands like balls of cotton wool. Whether they are eaten whilst sat under warm showers with smiles from beloved family, or nibbled whilst perched on a stool in a busy restaurant in Cairo. There is nothing quite like biting into a steaming hot and crispy shell to reveal bright green and moist beans tumble into the mouth.

These fritters are mildly spiced, fresh and moist. They make for wonderful party nibbles. For the full recipe head over the Great British Chefs

17 Responses to “Festive nibbles- broad bean and paneer fritters”

1. Joanne November 28, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

Ooo I’m definitely craving these now!!

• Deena Kakaya November 28, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Hi Joanne, thanks so much for stopping by! These have been so popular..quite taken aback :) broad beans work so incredible well in this fritter. I hope you’ll try them xx

2. Mina Joshi November 28, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

Deena

Love this recipe and can’t wait to try it out.

Do you add the paneer at the same time as when you add the gram flour? Do let me know by email if you can.

PS: I love your style of writing…I could imagine the three of you concentrating on removing the outer skin of the broad beans.

• Deena Kakaya November 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

Hi Meena, thanks so much for your comment.

Add the paneer just before the gram flour.

Thanks so much, shelling the broad beans is definitely worth it to get a sweeter effect xx

3. Pascale Smets November 28, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

I’m planning a drinks party, these look DELICIOUS and original. I always love this kind of finger food. I’ve signed up for your recipes ! Take a look at my blog FIG http://foodinteriorsgardens.blogspot.co.uk/
    I’m new to this sort of blogging so would value your opinion as your clearly seasoned !

• Deena Kakaya November 28, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

Hello Pascale, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it! I hope you’ll try these out, they’ve been a hit so far !

I will check out your site for sure x

4. sprinklesandsauce November 29, 2013 at 3:17 am #

These fritters look great! We love Indian food!

• Deena Kakaya November 29, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

They are really unusual and fab! I hope you’ll try them. Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment, I appreciate it.x

5. Sanjeeta kk November 29, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Looks like a perfect starters to kick start any party….making this for my weekend snack.

• Deena Kakaya November 29, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Hi Sanjeeta, really lovely to hear from you, thanks for stoping by. I’m so glad you like the fritters, please share a pic when you make them! Xx

6. Lisa November 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

How could I resist anything with paneer? Lovely recipe Deena. xxo

• Deena Kakaya November 30, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

I know what you mean Lisa, they are pretty special. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you’ll try them xx

7. theanxiouscook December 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Hmm, I’ve got some frozen broad beans I could really do with using up. Probably not quite the same as fresh from the pod but I still might give it a go….

• Deena Kakaya December 2, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Hi, great to hear from you!

Yes, I used frozen and they with fabulously, just as long as they are shelled! I hope you enjoy these xx

8. Tina @ The Spicy Pear December 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Your paneer fritters look delicious Deena. What a great idea for canapes, or even in a wrap for lunch. Yummy!

• Deena Kakaya December 19, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Thanks Tina…or even on a salad! Hope you’ll try them out x

1. Festive nibbles broad bean and paneer fritters | deenakakayaphotos - December 2, 2013

[…] Click here for the full recipe […]