28 Dec

Garlic roasted cauliflower and red onion in za'atar and coriander, with chilli and toasted pine nuts  by Deena Kakaya

My belt is well and truly loosened and my pockets are emptier. My heart is fuller and my fridge now more revealing. The bins have flowed over and my insides feel a wee bit like them now. Ooof, it’s time to eat some natural, light and healthier meals.

I really can’t consume another roast potato or nibble on any more rich cheese. I will pass on the triple chocolate whats-it and close my eyes before being presented any fizzy drinks. I am ready to choose sleep over cold air blowing under my eyelids whilst shopping for presents or last minute ingredients. My husband has also signed up for the marathon, so let’s bring on some healthy foods.

Every time I tell my mum I’m having a salad as a meal, she starts her talk about how salad isn’t substantial enough, isn’t a meal as its not hot and isn’t balanced nutritionally. She has this image that I’m eating a lonely Greek salad for dinner. I love Greek salad, but there’s so much more to choose from.

My garlic roasted cauliflower and red onion is warm, lightly sweet and carries salty garlic through it. I’ve coated it in coriander and za’atar spices, topped it with a drizzle on rice wine vinegar, red chilli and toasted pine nuts. It’s immensely tasty, virtuous and really easy to throw together. Try it.

Ingredients

A medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
A couple of glugs of rapeseed oil
One large red onion, sliced
A generous handful of coriander, washed an finely chopped
2 large red chilies, thinly sliced
A handful of pine nuts, lightly toasted
1 tsp salt
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp of white wine vinegar
4-5 tsp of za’atar spice mix

1. Toss the minced garlic, cauliflower, red onion, salt and rapeseed oil together for even coverage and then pop it in the oven at 180degrees for approximately 25 minutes, or until it is lightly golden and soft enough to pierce through. It should still have a bite.image
2. Whilst the cauliflower is still warm and moist, toss it in the za’atar spice mix and coriander. Plate it up and then drizzle on the white wine vinegar and top with toasted pine nuts and the red chilli.image

I served this salad with hummus and flat bread. Magic.

23 Responses to “Garlic roasted cauliflower and red onion in za’atar and coriander, with chilli and toasted pine nuts”

1. My little jar of spices December 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

This looks great! I love Zaathar, and I love roasted cauliflower. Why have I never put the two together?? Going on this week’s list of recipes (pinning it!). Thanks for stopping by my blog, I’m looking forward to reading more of your recipes as well 🙂

• Deena Kakaya December 28, 2013 at 4:29 pm #

Garlic and cauliflower were meant for each other, after much indulgence I think Jan will be the month of eating like this recipe demonstrates! It’s great to connect with you xx

2. Bhavisha December 28, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

This looks awesome! Just what I need after the excesses of Christmas! Do you think it would work as a packed lunch?

• Deena Kakaya December 28, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

Hi Bhavisha, it’s great to hear from you. I really enjoyed eating a light and tasty meal that wasn’t loaded with calories! This dish feels best warm with the crisp cauliflower but yes I think it would make a lovely lunch! Xx

3. fati's recipes December 28, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

So healthy and refreshing! Love the za’tar addition to the cauliflower 🙂

• Deena Kakaya December 28, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Hello? Thanks for stopping by! Yes healthy and refreshing it is, pretty and tasty too! I hope you’ll try it. X

4. Selma's Table December 28, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

I know exactly how you feel Deena! I love cheese but I have had enough (for the time being!) Your roasted salad sounds perfect – Jake is off to Denmark for a few days so I can please myself rather than cook for a ravenous teenager – will be giving this a go next week! Well done to hubby for signing up for a marathon – look forward to hearing how the training is going! x

• Deena Kakaya December 28, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

Hi Selma, so lovely to hear from you! Is this Jakes first flight away from home without you?

Oh I hope you’ll try this salad, it was just what we needed today and I think it looks so pretty.

Thank you for the wishes for hubby, he’s not a small bloke so having a challenge like this really pushes him to get fit and healthy xx

5. kellie@foodtoglow December 28, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

We enjoy something very similar but add roasted tofu too. We can’t get enough of za’atar (and dukkah). I even have it on my avocado and tomato toast for breakfast. Roll on 2014 and yummy recipes like this x

• Deena Kakaya December 28, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Oh Kellie, what a lovely idea to include roasted tofu…I will do that next time for sure. I add sumac to my avocado on toast, so in with you on that thinking 😉

Jan is the month of virtuous eating for me! I feel bloated and icky right now. Can’t wait to try some of your wonderful and colourful recipes out x

6. Ganga108 December 28, 2013 at 11:09 pm #

My brother roasted cauli for Xmas, and it was a bit of a flop. I must send him your recipe. xx

• Deena Kakaya December 28, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Oh no, such a shame that it was a flop…do you know what went wrong? I hope you will all enjoy this recipe as much as we did x

• Ganga108 December 28, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

I think it was more his inattention than anything else. 🙂

7. Anita Menon December 29, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Just the right recipe when I can’t think of looking at any kind of rich food. Looks yummy.Bookmarking

• Deena Kakaya December 29, 2013 at 10:23 am #

Thanks Anita! I feel quite icky and bloated so this is the sort of food what I will be eating for the next few weeks! I hope you enjoy this one x

8. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche December 29, 2013 at 10:43 am #

I’m feeling a bit over-stuffed from Christmas too – this morning I had bran flakes and orange juice for breakfast for the first time in about a fortnight, rather than a bar of chocolate haha. This looks like the perfect thing to start the new year 🙂

• Deena Kakaya December 29, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Hi Becca, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and it is lovely to hear from you!

I can’t cope anymore Becca, indulgence was fun but now my body is struggling! It’s back to fresh, colourful , natural and tasty food! Woohoo!! Xx

9. Franglais kitchen, Nazima December 30, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

wishing you a happy new year. I have been looking at the incredible turnout from your kitchen! I love Zaatar. We did roasted cauli at our supperclub (did them in the bbq) and they turned out really well. Love the texture.

• Deena Kakaya December 30, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Happy new year to you Nazima! I wish you lots of joy in the coming year and always.

Oh your BBQ cauliflower sounds loveky; I really like how well cauliflower soaks up flavours and can still retain bite..mmm… Xx

10. Namrata December 31, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

With all the celebrations and festivities, this recipe of yours is like a welcome relief 🙂 You’ve tossed yummy veggies in a very interesting dressing… am trying it out soon.

• Deena Kakaya December 31, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Hi Namrata, it’s really good to hear from you, I hope you are well! Oh I know exactly what you means and this is the way I will be eating in the month of Jan ! I’m so pleased to hear that you’ll be trying this recipe, please do let me know how you like it xx

11. whitegirllovesindianfood January 1, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

Ugh, I’ve been craving zaatar on pita lately!!!

• Deena Kakaya January 1, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

It’s a month of eating light foods for me:) thanks for stopping by x