Roasted tomato, orange and chilli soup

4 Jan

Tomato, Orange and Chilli soup by Deena KakayaEverything halts, doesn’t it? Play dates get cancelled and kids stay at home, away from nursery or school. Grown-ups either martyr on without thanks or, ‘work from home’. Dinners out with friends get postponed and any outdoor activity is null and void and substituted with snuggling under a blanket and intermittently catching daytime TV between uncomfortable snoozes. Yes, it is the season of sickness.

We have been fortunate in our house to have escaped many of the rounds that the bugs have done, so far. We all generally have pretty robust immune systems and I like to think that in part, this is due to what we eat, although though the festive indulgence did get the better of me. Not only did I suffer from horrid food poisoning, I spent a good couple of weeks popping heavy, greasy, cheesy or chocolaty concoctions into my mouth like they were air-filled. I felt queasy, bloated, heavy and sore in the tummy. I felt lethargic and constantly sick and clearly, my body is meant to eat clean, natural, colourful and light

for the full recipe, head over to great British chefs

8 Responses to “Roasted tomato, orange and chilli soup”

1. Stephanie January 4, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

This soup looks so tasty! I think just looking at it would make any smile and feel better. It has such a beautiful colour and the flowers are so pretty!

• Deena Kakaya January 7, 2014 at 12:31 am #

Hi Stephanie, thank you so much for you kind and positive words. Yes that’s just how I felt, the need to smile x

2. greenmackenzie January 5, 2014 at 1:24 am #

So true, why do we put all that sugary processed stuff in our mouths when our bodies clearly hate it!
    This look delicious…..I cooked up some home made mushroom soup today, packed with ginger, garlic and chillies….perfect antidote to all that heavy festive food 🙂

• Deena Kakaya January 5, 2014 at 11:22 pm #

Hello, I hope you are well! Exactly, my body is well and truly rejecting processed and rich foods…your soup sounds gorgeous. X

3. mjskit January 5, 2014 at 5:41 am #

Happy New Year Deena! Hope you are feeling better and so sorry that you got food poisoning. Yuk! Been there, done that and it’s not fun! This soup looks like a great soup to counter all of that chocolate and sweets and start eating healthy for 2014. 🙂 Great recipe!

• Deena Kakaya January 5, 2014 at 11:15 pm #

Happy new year to you too! I hope that had a fabulous festive period. I’m much better thank you, so kind of you to ask. This soup is so simple and surprising with the orange, I will be making it again soon. X

4. Joanne January 6, 2014 at 11:43 am #

I love the spice in this soup! I’m sure all the nutrients will definitely help ward off illness!

• Deena Kakaya January 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Hi Joanne, glad you like it! The orange feels strange, but very lovely indeed x