Scrambled masala tofu, beet and bulgur salad pockets

12 Feb

A lot of people tell me that if they could negotiate more hours in the day, they would. If they could move to somewhere sunnier, more peaceful or beautiful, they would and if they could make their work-life balance more life and less work hefty, they would.

Scrambled masala tofu, beet and bulgur salad pockets

Many others tell me that they would choose a different, more personally (not financially) rewarding career given the choice and that if they could just come out of the race and live somewhere exciting, they would.

Unfortunately cloning ourselves, time travel and morphing aren’t options but maybe our own minds and actions are, options.  Insofar as negotiating time is concerned I have a recipe which may just help with that.

Warm spices infiltrate tofu so well; there is no chance that it will be bland and what’s an added bonus, is that it is a good source of protein and oh…it cooks so quickly that you may reconsider wishing more time in your day. I’ve paired it with beetroot; it keeps the tofu lovely and moist and adds fantastic light sweetness and colour. Bulgur wheat is nutty and filling, healthy too.

For the full recipe, please head over to great british chefs

Scrambled masala tofu, beet and bulgur salad pockets

18 Responses to “Scrambled masala tofu, beet and bulgur salad pockets”

1. themuffinmyth February 13, 2014 at 6:46 am #

This looks great, Deena! I’ve pinned it to try very soon. I’ve got a brick of tofu in the fridge but no beetroot, so once I remedy that situation I’ll give it a go.

• Deena Kakaya February 13, 2014 at 8:27 am #

Thanks Katie, I love how versatile those bricks are. Hope you enjoy it x

2. kellie@foodtoglow February 13, 2014 at 8:27 am #

Interesting idea. I do a sloppy joe tofu thing that sounds similar – but very American with its barbecue flavours and green peppers. Tofu always needs help but that’s what makes it so great to work with – you can make it taste like what you want! And this sounds delish!

• Deena Kakaya February 13, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

Hello Kellie, oooh a sloppy joe tofu would work so wonderfully as that tofu would take on the BBQ flavours immensely well. Is the recipe on your site? Xx

3. Karen Burns Booth February 13, 2014 at 9:53 am #

Those look amazing Deena and just my sort of flavour combinations too!

• Deena Kakaya February 13, 2014 at 12:06 pm #

So glad you like it Karen, this one was so quick and easy to do, makes for lovely packed lunches xx

4. Katie @ Whole Nourishment February 13, 2014 at 11:38 am #

Bulgur stuffed pita with yogurt sauce, yum! This filling would be a great sort of make-ahead for week lunches and then just stuffed into pita last minute. And I could also see crumbled tempeh here rather than tofu. It has a pleasing bite that I think would go well with the bulgur. And yes, isn’t it all about our perspectives in life. Situations and paths in life aren’t necessarily what is unhappy or stressful, it’s our thoughts about them that are usually causing the damage! Thanks for the reminder of this, Deena.

• Deena Kakaya February 13, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

Hi Katie, I haven’t tried this with Tempeh, I love idea sharing. Thank you xx

5. Joanne February 13, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

This meal is perfect for one of those busy weeknights.

• Deena Kakaya February 13, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

Hi Joanne, so true and we made packed lunches for the next day too xx

6. eastofedencook February 13, 2014 at 5:06 pm #

Such a marvelous way bring tofu back into the limelight! Adore the bring flavors that make such a fabulous meatless meal!

• Deena Kakaya February 13, 2014 at 11:30 pm #

Thanks Deb! Scrambled works so well because the tofu pieces mingle so well with the spices xx

7. Richa February 14, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

i love how much masala, beets and other goodies are in there there i can barely make out the tofu! love these!

• Deena Kakaya February 14, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

Hi Richa, it’s really lovely to hear from you, thank you for stopping by.

Ah, I’m glad you like the look if this…the tofu takes on the juices from the beet and the colour of the masala, it adds lovely texture xx

8. laurasmess February 15, 2014 at 8:51 am #

What a delicious, healthy and yummy recipe! I love eating food in pockets, whether it be pastry, pita or tortillas. I’ll definitely be trying this while our summer weather lasts in Australia. Thanks xx

• Deena Kakaya February 15, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

Hi Laura, it’s lovely to hear from you. I’m really glad you like this one, it is really handy because I’m finding myself eating on the go a lot these days, so I hope it’ll be something tasty and nutritious xx

9. Swarna August 27, 2015 at 1:27 pm #

Hello Deena,

I was looking for this recipe on the Great British Chefs but could not find it. I searched in on their website, even did a search by ingredient but no luck. Can you please paste the web url for the recipe. I would really like to try this out.

Thanks for your time

• Deena Kakaya August 27, 2015 at 6:47 pm #

Hi Swarna, the great British chefs has been updated, I will check when this recipe will be reloaded and let you know