Chinese 5-spiced Potato, Leek and Feta cannelloni with a panko topping

8 Apr

Chinese 5-spiced Potato, Leek and Feta cannelloni with a panko topping

Chinese 5-spiced Potato, Leek and Feta cannelloni with a panko topping

I have never been one for going on a ‘diet’ or consuming trendy foods just because. I have always eaten what I wanted to yet in moderation, most of the time. I’ve always looked in the mirror and seen room for improvement, but I like bread, cheese and steaming hot pakora. But.

Just before I got married, during the run-up I had decided that I wanted to look every bit the blooming bride. I was only 23 and I wanted pictures to look back on, proudly, of me looking my finest on a glorious day. I wanted no pleats of belly-fat as I sat on the throne-like chair bearing my midriff and neither did I want wobbly arms fanning the guests as I took my vows in the Hindu manner. I didn’t want those shadows around my nose to show and I certainly did not want to reveal stained teeth. There needed to be classy cheek bones, not cute chubby cheeks.  I imagined gliding, slender and light whilst greeting and mingling with my guests. And so it started with eating lean salads at lunch time. I ruled out even miniature chocolates but at work, where celebratory birthday treats decorated communal cupboard tops daily, this was hard. When we were in our favourite Chinese restaurant we ordered stuff that wasn’t deep fried and a curry with salad instead of rice or noodles. I went to the gym every, single day.

I thought it was working. I was wearing white, sheer cotton tops and hot pants that summer.

But as I called my then fiancé into the room whilst trembling, I knew it had not worked. Every time I ran my hand through my hair a bunch fell out. It had worn out to a wispy and flyaway state. That’s what ‘dieting’ did.

After I had my boy I adhered to the dietary requirements stipulated by female elders and ancestors. I overdosed on fenugreek, millet flour, spinach, roasted aubergines and mung beans. I ruled out cruciferous vegetables, tomatoes, spice, potatoes and many other items that lend to a balanced diet. I was borderline diabetic but consumed ghee, jaggery and nuts in the name of natural healing. And I do think that they are useful and nutritious, when they complement a balanced diet.

Again, the horror of losing fistfuls of hair in the bath was upon me. I wore a headband to disguise the thinning, especially around the temples. I was fearful of washing my hair but the greasy look didn’t do me any favours. I felt sluggish, heavy and I just wanted my hair back.

My recipe today offers carbohydrates and cheese and plenty of taste. Let us embrace them with our taste buds, hearts and tummies. I have used Chinese 5-spice in the stuffing and I know it does sound unusual, but really, truly. It’s good. I could the stuffing on its own as a salad, in fact…

Chinese 5-spiced Potato, Leek and Feta cannelloni with a panko topping

Ingredients to serve 4

A pack of cannelloni tubes

2 tins of chopped tomatoes

3 red bell peppers

2 cloves of garlic, minced

Chilli flakes to taste

250ml water

2 tbsp. vegetable oil

2 tbsp. sesame oil

2 large leeks cut into bite sized pieces

200g feta cheese

3 medium potatoes, cubed

1 ½ tbsp. soy sauce

3 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder

1 tsp. cumin seeds

1. Wash, cut and drizzle the peppers with oil and roast them until they brown lightly
  2. Head the vegetable oil in a pan and the cumin seeds and once they sizzle, stir in the garlic and sauté for a minute before pouring in the tomatoes and the roasted peppers. Sprinkle in the chilli and water and then cook for 5 minutes before blitzing it smooth.
  3. Boil the potatoes for 4-5 minutes and then drain then and allow them to cook
  4. Heat the sesame oil in a deep dish and then add the leeks and then once they start to soften, sprinkle in the Chinese 5 spice and soy sauce and then cook them for 4-5 minutes on a medium flame.
  5. Stir in the potatoes and then crumble in the feta and then remove the mixture from the heat. Chinese 5-spiced Potato, Leek and Feta cannelloni with a panko topping
  6. Pour some of the sauce into a deep dish, then turn your attention to stuffing the cannelloni evenly and then place each tube into the sauce. The sauce should almost cover the cannelloni tubes.
  7. Once the tubes are stuffed, sprinkle the top of the dish with panko breadcrumbs and then bake the cannelloni in the oven at 180 degrees until the topping is golden brown and the tubes can be pierced all the way through.

24 Responses to “Chinese 5-spiced Potato, Leek and Feta cannelloni with a panko topping”

1. Camilla @FabFood4All April 8, 2014 at 9:04 pm #

What a fabulous dish, I don’t think I’ve ever actually used cannelini tubes! How long did you cook yours in the oven for?

• Deena Kakaya April 8, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Hi Camilla, so lovely to hear from you and I’m so pleased that you like this recipe.

My oven is mental, so it cooked in about 25 minutes. I think it should take longer. X

2. Emily @amummytoo April 8, 2014 at 9:09 pm #

That looks super yum and really different!

• Deena Kakaya April 8, 2014 at 9:10 pm #

Thank you Emily! The stuffing is SO good x

3. Deb April 8, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

Such a refreshing recipe for cannelloni! A healthy body needs fat too, moderation is the best!

• Deena Kakaya April 8, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

Hello Deb! Thank you, and totally agree, life is best when lived in moderation ;) x

4. Katie @ Whole Nourishment April 9, 2014 at 6:32 am #

Deena, you are brave to share this story with us. Glad you’re in a better place – I agree, living in moderation, not deprivation, is the way to go! And Chinese 5-spice anything, and I’m in.

• Deena Kakaya April 9, 2014 at 6:54 am #

Hi Katie, thank you. You know I’ve learned that the body isn’t something to be messed around with. Vanity is one thing, nurturing yourself another.
      The stuffing for this one, oh the stuffing! X

5. Karen Burns Booth April 9, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

Such a FABULOUS recipe idea Deena and I bet it tasted divine! I love the fact that you have taste, texture, crunch and colour in this dish and I know that I would have loved this if it has been set before me at the table. Karen

• Deena Kakaya April 9, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

So kind of you Karen, those are exactly the sensations I was going for. Xx

6. kellie@foodtoglow April 9, 2014 at 5:43 pm #

Totally agree with you here. The other way lies madness (and eating issues). And as always, your recipe is inventive and bursting with flavours. Yum to the my!

• Deena Kakaya April 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm #

Kellie, it’s so good to hear from you on here. Yes, thankfully Im not so mad )on the diet sense) now. Thank you, it certainly was bursting! Xx

7. lushly April 9, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

This sounds amazing and I’m with you on the balanced diet—eat what you want in moderation and be happy and healthy :)

• Deena Kakaya April 9, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

That’s the thing isn’t it, being sensible in a delicious sort of way ( of course) xx

8. Joanne April 11, 2014 at 10:59 am #

I truly think the only way to be healthy is to exercise moderation in all things! And these cannelloni definitely exemplify that!

• Deena Kakaya April 11, 2014 at 11:04 am #

Thank you Joanne, this sort of moderation tasted mighty fine x

9. themuffinmyth April 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm #

I hear ya. I always know my body isn’t happy if I’m losing hair. Here’s to sensible eating with balance and moderation. Lovely dish.

• Deena Kakaya April 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

Oh it happens to you too? Here’s to balance. X

10. Choclette April 14, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

That was so sad to read. All the effort you put into looking glamorous – I hope you enjoyed your wedding anyway. I’ve never trusted diets as such but I am rather fond of the sweet stuff, so my diet isn’t quite as healthfully balanced as it should be. Anyway, this is a dish I would love – as I would most of the food I see on your blog.

• Deena Kakaya April 14, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

Hi Choclette, lovely to hear from you.
      Yes, it was unfortunate but I’ve learned my lessons. So glad you like the recipe, spinach and jalapeños are a surprisingly good pairing xx

11. Sophie33 April 14, 2014 at 9:26 pm #

What a very appetizing special recipe twist, I love it too,…mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Deena Kakaya April 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

Thanks Sophie, this one definitely hit the spot for comfort and flavour x

1. schalke trikot - April 24, 2014

schalke trikot

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog so i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!}