Paneer, corn and sundried tomato pakora

12 May

These unusual, golden little gram flour fritters are crispy and light. They give way to spongy paneer, sweet corn and the light tang of sundried tomatoes. Sit back, relax, watch it rain and devour steaming hot, crisp and fluffy pakora. The paneer adds great texture, depth and succulence. I have used Savera paneer which is the closest out there to homemade paneer…best for this kind of recipe as you wont get a rough chewy texture, but instead you will get an awesome light and pillowy feel. Pillowy…sleep…now that sounds like a great plan doesnt it?

How do you eat yours? I am a tamarind chutney kind of girl and my husband uses ketchup or siracha sauce. I reccomend the later or a coriander and chilli chutney. Oof, comfort food. And guess what, it is easy peasy. It

Alas, no time for sleep right now (boo) but I will be taking these indian vegetarian snacks with a twist to our next picnic (setting is at the zoo). My toddler eats them as do his friends, which, as you will understand if you read my posts regularly is a really, really big deal. I am using some of the gram flour as a face pack. I need it. Have you seen me recently? Shocking.

paneer pakora

Serves 10-12 as a snack

Cost per serving: 60p

Prep time: 20 minutes

Cooking time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

225g paneer, cut into bite sized cubes

250g gram flour

250ml water

1 large red onion, diced

100g sweet corn

120g sundried tomatoes, sliced (the ones that are preserved in oil)

Salt to taste

½ tsp. Turmeric powder

1 tsp. cumin seeds

1 tsp. fennel seeds

1 tsp. minced ginger

2 cloves of garlic, minced

¾ tsp. garam masala

2 tbsp. lemon juice

1-2 green chillies, finely chopped

Oil for deep frying

1. Heat the oil on a medium to low flame whilst you prepare the batter
  2. In a wide bowl, collect the corn, paneer chunks and sundried tomatoes. Sprinkle in the salt, fennel, chillies, cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger, garam masala and onion and combine all the ingredients well.
  3. Stir in the lemon juice and toss the mixture together well.
  4. Introduce the gram flour, stir the mixture thoroughly before pouring in the water and then form a thick batter.
  5. Drop a little gram flour batter into the oil to test the oil. If the oil is hot enough the batter will rise to the surface of the oil and sizzle.
  6. Form small and equal sized balls of batter and aim to include paneer, corn and sundried tomato within each ball. They should be smaller than a golf ball.
  7. Fry them until golden brown and then remove them with a slotted spoon onto some kitchen paper in order to drain them.

This is a sponsored post but any views expressed are my own.

32 Responses to “Paneer, corn and sundried tomato pakora”

1. chilliandmint May 12, 2014 at 11:00 am #

I adore pakoras and am also a tamarind chutney girl. Btw congrats at getting into the final three re curryforchange competition. Was a lot of fun playing around with the ingredients. Good luck with the filming on Fri ;o) best Torie x

• Deena Kakaya May 12, 2014 at 11:38 am #

Hey Torie! So nice to hear from you. Thank you for your kind words…hey is the news about the curry for change stuff out? I had no idea. But huge thanks, it’s a good cause huh x

2. themuffinmyth May 12, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

Tell me more about this gram flour face pack! I loooove pakoras and am a chutney girl all the way. I’ve never tried making them myself, though maybe I should. There is something prohibitive about deep frying for me – not the health factor, but the hassle of dealing with the oil. But this weekend we’re doing an Indian feast from our favourite cookbook for the husband’s birthday, and perhaps I’ll have to add pakoras to the menu. He is not the kind of person who lets the hassle of a little deep fry oil hold him back.

• Deena Kakaya May 12, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Well Katie, gram flour honey and yogurt make a mighty fine pack but I’m not brace enough to add turmeric (in case I end up like Homer Simpson). I think after some frying my skin needs the pack. I hope you’ll try the recipe, it works!

Oh, which is this fave book that you are cooking from? Xx

• themuffinmyth May 12, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

Two books actually, Vij’s, and Vij’s At Home. They’re from a fabulous modern Indian restaurant in Vancouver called Vij’s (run by Vikram Vij), and we’ve been cooking our way through both books.

• Deena Kakaya May 12, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

Oh, I will have to have a snoop x

• themuffinmyth May 12, 2014 at 12:55 pm #

I’ve got two of his recipes (shared with permission) on my blog: spicy cauliflower steak, and curried devilled eggs. The eggs are out of this world!

• Deena Kakaya May 12, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

I love spicy eggs! My dad makes a legendary egg curry but I’m always up for variations x

3. anita May 12, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

.Love the sound of these pakoras.. yum

• Deena Kakaya May 12, 2014 at 1:02 pm #

Therapy of sorts 😉 hope you are well Anita xx

4. Jess @ whatjessicabakednext May 12, 2014 at 3:40 pm #

This sounds right up my street! Love pakoras- so definitely need to try this one out! 🙂

• Deena Kakaya May 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm #

Hi Jess, thank you so much. I’m really glad you like the look of them, it’s an easy recipe that works so I hope you’ll enjoy them x

5. Sadia Mohamed May 12, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

Heyy delicious pakoras! The combination of paneer, corn and the sun dried tomatoes sounds like a winner.

• Deena Kakaya May 12, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

Hi Sadia, it’s great to hear from you! Glad you like the pakora, they’re definitely unusual but yes, they certainly hit the spot x

6. Choclette May 12, 2014 at 7:12 pm #

I don’t know what to get most excited about first, these delicious pakora or the fact you can use gram flour as a face mask! I would happily devour a plate full of these with any chutney you care to give me. They sound wonderful.

• Deena Kakaya May 12, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

Ha! I love your comments, you are not only kind but so funny. Seriously, try the face mask! X

7. Bombay Blonde May 12, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

Interesting twist on a pakora! Can’t wait to try it!

• Deena Kakaya May 12, 2014 at 7:42 pm #

Hello Katherine, thanks for connecting with me. I just left a comment on your site, but not sure it went through. So glad you are planning to try this recipe, please let me know how it goes x

8. thespicyrd May 13, 2014 at 4:31 am #

Pillowy sounds absolutely divine to me!!! Love these tasty fritters, especially b/c they are already gluten-free 🙂 Tamarind Chutney? You betcha!

• Deena Kakaya May 13, 2014 at 7:25 am #

Ah, another chutney girl! And thank you for highlighting the gluten free aspect x

9. Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy May 13, 2014 at 10:45 am #

Mmm, these sound lovely. I am a big fan of anything with sundried tomato in it 🙂

• Deena Kakaya May 13, 2014 at 11:44 am #

Thank you Dannii, I love contrasting textures and flavours mingling together x

10. coconutcraze May 13, 2014 at 3:10 pm #

Looks tempting…great to munch on a rainy day like what we have today!

• Deena Kakaya May 13, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

AbSolutely! I’ve got tamarind chutney to hand x

11. Lisa May 13, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

You always come up with interesting ideas for paneer. Love the flavor combination and yes, tamarind chutney!

• Deena Kakaya May 13, 2014 at 4:02 pm #

Thanks Lisa! I’m really glad you like the combinations, some more unusual curries in the next few days. Thanks for your kind words x

12. simplyvegetarian777 May 13, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Loved the addition of sundried tomatoes in pakoras Deena! What a twist :).

• Deena Kakaya May 13, 2014 at 10:25 pm #

Hi Sonal, glad you like it! Funnily enough the balance of corn, paneer and sundried tomatoes is pretty harmonious in a pakora x

13. Shruti May 14, 2014 at 12:08 pm #

It was so easy and super yummmm !!! Loved it….

• Deena Kakaya May 14, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Really glad to see goth feedback! Thanks so much

14. Joanne May 14, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

I have recently become obsessed with pakora, so can’t wait to try these!

• Deena Kakaya May 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm #

Let me know how you like them Joanne, they are a recent favourite in our house x