Roasted carrot, mung bean, Quinoa and tomato salad in a miso-masala dressing

28 Jul

Roasted carrot, mung bean, Quinoa and tomato salad in a miso-masala dressing

It was far too hot to go out today and that’s not something I often say and for some reason my toddler has a definite leaning towards traditionally boyish ways.  I never pushed cars, the solar system or action toys to him, in fact I have offered his cousins dolls and teddies for him to play with but there is certainly no interest. In the same tune, he refuses to let me tie his sweeping hair back in this hotness and would rather have his hair stick in clumps around his busy little face.

Roasted carrot, mung bean, Quinoa and tomato salad in a miso-masala dressing

Unlike my toddler I don’t much feel like rushing around and the absolute last thing I wanted to do is stand over bubbling pots of simmering concoctions in this heat. I am also conscious that this autumn brings changes in life where I need to feel my best and so I need to eat the best. Cue my salad of sweet roasted carrots, nutty pink (paprika and turmeric stained) Quinoa, deep and clean mung beans and juicy tomatoes and wrapped up in an umami style miso dressing spiked with coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli and curry leaves. Well, I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t right?

So, instead of growing irritable (and in calories from customary ice-cream eating) in the park with newly holidaying kiddies galore and lugging around drinks, sun cream, hats and changes of clothes we washed mountains lightly soiled (it is muck and clover not artificial soluble fertilizer so we got messy) organic vegetables from Riverford. I stood my boy at the sink and we chatted over the washing of gigantic and crisp lettuce leaves, shiny and even courgette, huge and bulbous spring onions, feathery-headed carrots (apparently Rory the rabbit loves them) and even broad beans, which we ate raw (shhh). I have to say, the flavors of the veg on their own are intense and a reminder that vegetables really don’t have to be a side-dish. The carrots are the star of this dish, just look at them…intense in their roasted skins. A lot of people throw away the feathery greens but for goodness sake keep them! They add fabulous texture to a salad and unsurprisingly, taste very carroty.

This is not posh nosh, but the quality and balance is there and you know, just making this salad with my boy has been so enjoyable and enriching.

For the full recipe, head over to great British chefs.

Roasted carrot, mung bean, Quinoa and tomato salad in a miso-masala dressing

This is a sponsored post but any views expressed are my own.

35 Responses to “Roasted carrot, mung bean, Quinoa and tomato salad in a miso-masala dressing”

1. Traditionally Modern Food July 28, 2014 at 8:03 pm #

Wow they look appetizing:-)

2. Deb July 29, 2014 at 12:20 am #

The Roasted Carrot, Mung Bean, Tomato Salad with Quinoa is a very tempting recipe! I’ve been rediscovering the wonders of quinoa. Loaded with vegan proteinand happy to share the spotlight with bolder flavors it makes a wonderful meal.

• Deena Kakaya July 29, 2014 at 6:34 am #

Hi Deb, great to hear from you! Have to say, I had fallen a little out of love with quinoa but I’m back on good terms with it;) the nuttiness works well with the carrots in this one I reckon. Thank you as always xx

3. Sophie33 July 29, 2014 at 8:55 am #

It looks just stunning, dear deena! 🙂 Yumm! Beautifully presented too!

• Deena Kakaya July 29, 2014 at 11:13 am #

Thank you for your wonderful and kind comment Sophie x

4. Katie @ Whole Nourishment July 29, 2014 at 10:05 am #

I love your combination of roasted carrots, mung beans, and quinoa. This totally my kind of salad!! The warm dressing sounds really interesting too. And you’re right, this is a great dish for hot days.

• Deena Kakaya July 30, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks Katie! Given the luscious and nutritious stuff you share, I’m so pleased to learn that this is your kind of stuff xx

5. Joanne July 29, 2014 at 11:04 am #

This salad sounds so fresh and delicious! Perfect for a warm summer day.

• Deena Kakaya July 30, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks Joanne! It’s so much fun using seasonal summer stuff. You know I think this one may just work for the cooler season too? X

6. kellie anderson July 30, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

Quinoa based salads with seasonal yummies and spikes of strong flavours – does it for me! Enjoy these child-driven days, whether hot or not. They pass all too quickly.

• Deena Kakaya July 30, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

Thank you so much Kellie, lovey to hear this from you!

I have been away from him for the past couple of days (day time only) and I feel even luckier that I don’t have to do it all the time xx

7. Sally July 30, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

So colourful. Have you ever vistied Riverford in Devon and eaten at the Field Kitchen? Looks like something they would serve.

• Deena Kakaya July 30, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

Hi Sally. No I haven’t but I’d really like to; thank you for the tip I’m going to check it out hopefully later this summer x

8. recipesfromapantry July 30, 2014 at 8:37 pm #

Great pairing Deena.

• Deena Kakaya July 30, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks so much Bintu! I don’t often use carrots as the star of a dish, but this one was such fun x

9. EA-The Spicy RD July 31, 2014 at 5:06 pm #

Heading over now to get the recipe-sounds fabulous! Love the addition of carrot tops too 🙂

• Deena Kakaya July 31, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

I’m so glad that you said that as I don’t always use the greens but they are so carroty! Xx

10. Choclette August 1, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

That sounds so delicious Deena and what a great way to use carrots. We’ve got a whole mound of them from accumulating veg boxes and all ideas are very welcome. Autumn is sounding interesting?

• Deena Kakaya August 1, 2014 at 6:52 pm #

Thank you Choclette! Accumulation of veg boxes- I certainly like the sound of that! Yes lots of change for me this autumn and it feels good x

11. Anita Menon August 3, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

It is amazing how children tend to go traditional even when we try the exact opposite with them. We never pushed dolls and kitchen sets with my daughter but now she loves playing with her soft toys while she is indoors. But she is quite a tomboy as well, jumping around and bossing the boys in the park. Only time will tell, if she becomes a girly girl ( I wouldn’t like that to happen )
    The salad looks so tempting! Perfect for a hot summer day when you don’t feel like eating a heavy meal.

• Deena Kakaya August 3, 2014 at 6:36 pm #

Anita it’s so lovely to hear from you. And I know, how interesting! My toddler niece loves dolls and carrying around bags on the bend of her arm…my boy walks straight past all that stuff. I like MImi’s style of holding her own in the park Anita 😉

It was such fun to make this salad with my boy, there are lots of little processes but not much cooking. X

12. Petra August 3, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

To be honest, I’ve never tried the greens and I cannot imagine the taste, that’s an interesting idea! As a beginner in the world of vegetarians (or better to say in the world of those who desperately love meat but are trying to cut it out for at least one day per week, following the popular idea of Meatless Mondays you might know I guess), I’m currently trying to discover all those unknown tastes I was missing until now and I think this is the most helpful way… 🙂

• Deena Kakaya August 3, 2014 at 10:41 pm #

Hi Petra, thanks for your lovely words.

I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. I became vegetarian as a pre teen a find that with so much variety in my diet and a whole world of spices I never come unstuck. Hope you’ll stay in touch x

• Deena Kakaya August 5, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

Hi Petra, great to hear from you.

I dont always use the greens either but they are very carroty and add such lovely texture to the dish. I hope you are enjoying discovering new tastes and flavours.
      Deena

13. Camilla @FabFood4All August 3, 2014 at 10:39 pm #

Delicious looking salad Deena, the food almost jumps off the page:-)

• Deena Kakaya August 3, 2014 at 10:41 pm #

Hi Camilla, thank you so much, I’m
      So glad that you like it x

14. Rhonda Sittig August 6, 2014 at 12:16 am #

Love your food photos Deena, so brilliant and bright! Makes it all looks so inviting!

• Deena Kakaya August 6, 2014 at 7:59 am #

Thanks so much Claudia, the pics have improved since the early days-the early ones make me blush, eek x

• Rhonda Sittig August 6, 2014 at 2:09 pm #

Oh gosh Deena– I say the same thing– wish I could recook all those old recipes and come up with sharper, brighter pics. but oh well…

• Deena Kakaya August 6, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

Well in a way it’s quite nice to have the old ones there, it shows how much we’ve grown x

• Rhonda Sittig August 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm #

OK, that’s the best way to look at it! thanks Deena..

15. mjskit August 7, 2014 at 3:13 am #

A very spicy and flavorful salad with lots and lots of texture. Love it!

16. themuffinmyth August 17, 2014 at 7:11 am #

Deena, this salad! It seems like the exact thing I want to be eating right now. I had the most amazing roasted carrot salad when the husband and I went out for our anniversary dinner in Vancouver. It had avocado, tons of sprouted seeds, and bits of goat’s cheese with it. Probably one of my favourite things I ate that night. This combo with quinoa and mung beans seems so healthy and hearty, and that miso masala dressing? Yum! I used the last scraping of my salty miso yesterday, so time to buy a new jar and get down to business! Thanks for another brilliant recipe.

• Deena Kakaya August 17, 2014 at 8:16 am #

Thanks so much lovely Katie and it is great to hear from you again.

You know I wouldn’t have actually gone out and made a carrot featuring salad if it weren’t for the glorious bunch that I was sent by the Riverford folk, they were so lovely! I’m really glad that I did though, the gentle sweetness was fab with miso. I hope you like it too xx