The sweet Greek salad – with spiced feta, roasted sweet potato and aubergine

30 Aug

The sweet Greek salad – with spiced feta, roasted sweet potato and aubergine

Sometimes, we need the reminders that a rainy day brings.

The sweet Greek salad - with spiced feta, roasted sweet potato and aubergine

The sweet Greek salad – with spiced feta, roasted sweet potato and aubergine by Deena Kakaya

Every day my toddler asks me, ‘what sort of tata are we going to today mumma’. Tata is the Gujarati baby word for ‘excursion’. I told him today that it is raining all day and we would get totally soaked. So we took a few moments to cuddle and listen to the crackles of thunder and look out at the hailstones patter against the window. ‘I don’t want to get wet mumma’.

I had a lot to do today. It is a Sunday but you know, the way my life works at the moment is that there is no traditional pattern of a 5-day working week. There were two recipes for a magazine to test and write up as well as two recipes for an upcoming cookery class and my head was still bulging with the images that a chat between a friends and I had, following a surprise bumping-into whilst shopping.

We had not seen each other in almost a decade. We were neighbours. We took the same bus home from work each day, from our completely different careers and we came back to very different lives, but we had connected on some level. We would hungrily talk about food on our entire journey home and I would moan about my post graduate studies. Her concerns were more grown up than mine for she returned to a toddler daughter who would wait at the door for her mummy whilst bobbing around in her grandmother’s arms and then she would bounce down the path to greet her mummy. I enjoyed playing with this sparky little girl who was sociable. Now she is preparing for secondary school. Now things aren’t as I had planned and now they are removed from the ideal. But now I have the toddler. Now I am on the other side of the lecture theatre. Now I am with different focus.

But as my husband and I prepared for the busy weeks ahead with engraved masala tins stacked up high and recipe writing and testing in between playing with my little sweetie, we felt happy.

The sweet Greek salad - with spiced feta, roasted sweet potato and aubergine by Deena Kakaya

I sang along to my favourite tunes interrupted by songs about planets and phonics. I twizzled my baby around and listened to rapturous giggles as his teeny hand cupped his mouth at the hilarity of mumma wiggling her bum. I felt blessed that my project is my husband’s project as he treaded, cautiously but willingly on culinary ground. We all got involved in making this salad and my boy eagerly described how the vegetables for it arrived in a massive box from a chap called Gary from Riverford. I see my reflection in him now and its capturing. He washed the glossy and ripe tomatoes and after a few impatient nibbles of the cucumber, he did a good job with that too. I have to admit, my husband did a darn good job with executing much of this salad including marinating the feta in those toasted spices. It’s a rarity, so I am cherishing this memory.

The sweet Greek salad - with spiced feta, roasted sweet potato and aubergine  by Deena Kakaya

for the full recipe head over to great british chefs

I am linking this post to Lisa’s kitchen and Tinned tomatoes for the no croutons food bloggers challenge

19 Responses to “The sweet Greek salad – with spiced feta, roasted sweet potato and aubergine”

1. Katie @ Whole Nourishment August 30, 2014 at 2:10 pm #

I think you’re touching on something really important that we all struggle with from time to time. which is that we have the choice to see abundance and joy in our life or see what it’s lacking and dwell on the negative. You are finding the joy and it’s so refreshing to see. And I absolutely love your spin on this Greek salad with the sweet potato and aubergine!!

• Deena Kakaya September 2, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Oh Katie, I spent the best part of a decade focusing on well, everything that I’m not focusing on now. I guess that there is a time and place for everything. X

2. Joanne August 31, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

Such a great play on Greek salad! I love that there are sweet potatoes involved. My favorite veggie!

• Deena Kakaya September 2, 2014 at 7:55 am #

Me too! And it makes for a filling and healthy meal this way x

3. Rhonda Sittig September 2, 2014 at 4:15 am #

Nice to have a husband who will cook!! — this recipe looks luscious!

4. Sally September 2, 2014 at 5:30 am #

Lots of interesting thoughts and threads here. Love the descriptions of preparing food together as a family – these are golden moments indeed.

• Deena Kakaya September 2, 2014 at 7:53 am #

Thank you Sally, I’m holding onto the moments x

5. kellie anderson September 4, 2014 at 7:24 pm #

I recently posted about my daughter getting ready to leave for university and reading your post I am so pleased that you are in a position to really relish this kind of ordinary time with your boy and husband. So often we get caught up in making special memories but really the everyday things shared together are always the ones our children remember. I agonised a bit about what I could do to make this last week before uni special, but she said “but just spending time with you is special.” So, I kept work to a minimum and we have just been, well, ordinary. But we were together and in the moment. Just as you are doing and continue to do. How special that you were all preparing your evening meal. It really is. Sure, it could be done faster if you did it yourself (it always is!) but you only get today once. And you’ve made the ordinary, special. Good luck with all of your deadlines and testing all of your delicious food – such as these colourful “welcome autumn” salad. Yum!

• Deena Kakaya September 4, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

Every time you post a comment on my site I look forward to reading it because I know you’ll say something that makes me smile inside and out. If my boy says something as your pretty daughter has I will feel very, very proud and so loved.

6. Fiver Feeds September 7, 2014 at 11:01 pm #

No better Salad than the Greek one, especially during summertime 🙂

7. Tashiana September 10, 2014 at 6:52 am #

This looks so colourful and wholesome. Yummy! Dinn-spriation 🙂

8. themuffinmyth September 17, 2014 at 5:58 am #

I love the idea of adding sweet potatoes into a Greek style salad! So much great flavour, texture, and nutrition. Something I will definitely have to try. Yum!

9. Lisa October 6, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

That’s just gorgeous Deena. So wonderful to have all of the family pitching in to create a work of beauty. Thanks for sharing with NCR. The roundup is a bit late this month, but it is coming soon

1. No Croutons Required – September Edition | My Blog - May 2, 2015

[…] Recipe: The Sweet Greek salad – with Spiced Feta, Roasted Sweet Potato and Aubergine […]