Home-made plum, star anise and amoretti ice cream

4 Sep

Home-made plum, star anise and amoretti ice cream

I am hanging on to summer. Well, sort of.

Home-made plum, star anise and amoretti ice cream

As I walked (rather than take the car) to pick up ingredients today with the boy in the buggy I sniffled lightly as I thought of all the work I have pending. Exam season is near, but it’s still summer isn’t it because there is still a week before it all kicks off. A whole week. I looked down at my jumper; well at least it has a floral print on it eh? And you know the menu for my upcoming cookery class has kale included, maybe I should just give in.

I mean there is even back-to-school stuff in the shops and the swimming pool is already quieter for all the children are screaming in playgrounds now. There is more traffic building up on the roads and the trampoline in the garden is filling up with rain water. I am still making the season’s last visits to the zoo and well, making ice cream.

So when the chap from Riverford tucked a box of seasonal jewels near my garden with a wrapper l on it and I saw it as I arrived home, my boy and turned our glances away from the wilting flowers and drying rose bushes to grab it and see because we have learned after a few deliveries that the quality of the fruit and vegetables we get is absolutely outstanding. Here is the thing, with no word of exaggeration. The corn we got this week is probably some of the best corn we have eaten in years. Years! I also got a perfectly sweet-tart and sunny looking plums with which I have struck a deal with the season-Gods. They bestow these beauties and I pretend it is still summer by adding a touch of exotic and aniseed-sexy star anise and I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t create a little Asian-Italian fusion with the amoretti biscuits. Maybe I shouldn’t say this, but I will. This ice-cream is out of this world. It is sensational. You have to do it. The creaminess is exquisite and definitely not bashful. The spice is bold and the plums, they are tantalisingly sensual.

for the full recipe head over to great british chefs

fsf-autumn

I am sharing this recipe with Eat your Veg and Delicieux for the four seasons challenge

15 Responses to “Home-made plum, star anise and amoretti ice cream”

1. kellie anderson September 8, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

What a beautifully unique ice cream recipe, Deena. So simple too. Gorgeous photos on GBC, really lovely

• Deena Kakaya September 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

Thanks Kellie, I think it’s my best yet because it was creamier than ever before and the star anise is very effective x

• kellie anderson September 8, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

yes, loved the idea of star anise. It can be overwhelming but here you’ve judged it perfectly x

2. Rhonda Sittig September 9, 2014 at 3:20 am #

I’m of a mind that it’s ice cream season all year round. And this looks intriguing and delicious Deena!!!

• Deena Kakaya September 9, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

I like your thinking a lot Rhonda! Thank you xx

3. Joanne September 9, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

What a fabulous ice cream flavor! So glad that I currently have plums on my counter.

4. Sally September 12, 2014 at 2:24 pm #

Your flavours are always absolutely intriguing. Tempted by this although I’m not an icecream lover.

• Deena Kakaya September 12, 2014 at 3:05 pm #

Thanks so much Sally, I have a bit of a special spot for ice cream flavours that tickle the senses. If I can tempt you further; this is probably one of the best ice cream i have made recently x

5. duodishes September 17, 2014 at 2:42 am #

It’s the perfect season for ice cream. So many summer-ripe fruits and enough hot weather to make everyone want something sweet and cold. Love the photos!

6. Eat Your Veg November 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm #

Gosh this sounds amazeballs Deena!! So so sorry it’s taken me until now to get around to looking at all the wonderful fruity entries to September’s Four Seasons Food, we’ve both been incredibly busy. A recipe I’ll definitely be bookmarking for next plum season though, thanks so much for entering.

• Deena Kakaya November 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm #

Hi Louisa, this is one of my faves! Glad you like it x

7. Kate - gluten free alchemist November 11, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

This sounds amazing Deena. The combination of flavours really grabbed me…… even now its November!!

• Deena Kakaya November 11, 2014 at 11:23 pm #

Thank you Kate! One of my fave combinations for ice cream x