12 Sep

I think I need to eat less food.

roasted pepper curry 2+

Have I finally gone crazy? Maybe. My point is this; I think I generally eat pretty healthy foods not outrageously healthy foods, but I do eat lots of vegetables, plentiful grains like barley, faro and Quinoa, there are a few fruits, seeds, and nuts, dried apricots and some of the funky stuff like chia seeds, cacao, matcha and that sort of jazz. I consciously cut down the fruit sugar and increased the milk intake and when I am really good, I remember to take those iron pills. I don’t eat a lot of fried stuff or excessive amounts of sugar but my problem is this. I just eat way too much.

It is just as well that the lovely folk at Riverford have been sending me the season’s jewels. The sweet peppers in the vegbox from this week smell so sweet that I detected their untainted beauty before I even saw them as I rummaged through the picks of the week. I know I always get the most massive fresh leaves of spinach that aren’t gritty or punched with off-putting holes as many crops I get from the supermarket are. I have been eating the spinach raw and my husband even uses it in smoothies but I thought I would do more justice to the silky loveliness in this curry.

roasted pepper curry 1

So what I have been trying to do is satisfy my taste buds (the culprit of my excessive eating) with bold flavours. So bold and capturing that relatively little goes a long way. I have used homemade cashew cream in this curry rather than using double cream or coconut milk or coconut cream but for whatever reason my husband was convinced that I did use coconut. I have used tofu in the stuffing rather than paneer. It is all sounding good eh? It is bold without being heavy or overly spiced. In fact, there is very little of that, ‘I have just had a curry and I can really feel it’ aftermath. You know the one I mean don’t you?

Its sweet, its spicy, its creamy its oof. It did it for me.

for the full recipe head over to great british chefs

19 Responses to “Curry of roasted sweet peppers filled with tofu and spinach, in a spiced cashew cream base”

1. simplyvegetarian777 September 12, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

This is so gorgeous :).

• Deena Kakaya September 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

Thank you so much Sonal, I hope that you are well x

• simplyvegetarian777 September 13, 2014 at 9:39 pm #

I am doing well just a lot busy with the girls back to school now.. School routine is good but challenging :).
        Thinking of aligning some short e book ideas, more online events, getting sponsors….etc…. This devil sorta mind always on roll and then complains of no break ;).
        I hope you are doing very well yourself :).

2. Bee September 12, 2014 at 10:07 pm #

Where is this recipe?

• Deena Kakaya September 12, 2014 at 10:20 pm #

If you follow the link at the bottom of the page, you’ll reach the Great British Chefs page where I have shared the recipe

• Bee September 23, 2014 at 4:59 pm #

That’s great. Can I ask what type and where you buy the tofu?

• Deena Kakaya September 23, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

This was cauldron tofu and so it was firm. Glad you like it!

3. Mamta September 13, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

Hi, I can’t see the link?

• Deena Kakaya September 13, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

The link is in the great British chefs line at the bottom, which takes you to the great British chefs page where I have shared the recipe

4. kellie anderson September 14, 2014 at 9:04 am #

I know how you feel. When our lives centre around food it almost cannot be helped that we eat more than we need. Even with healthy and plant-bsed cooking being at the heart. I try so hard to just have a taste and move on, but it is so hard, especially when developing recipes! I had much more will power when I was younger: why is that? Your recipe sounds absolutely delicious (i love cashew cream stuff) so I will go over and have a look soon. Just off to a Food and Drink Fair right now though. More temptation!

• Deena Kakaya September 17, 2014 at 7:44 am #

Isn’t it just ridiculously hard, but then my body is, unfortunately, good at telling me when to stop. I’ve been over indulging in sugar recently and my hair is starting to shed at a higher rate. Must pull back!

Yes a little of this curry goes far, but without the double cream x

5. Rhonda Sittig September 15, 2014 at 5:36 am #

Such a beautiful dish with those colors Deena!! and we love roasted red peppers.

6. mjskit September 17, 2014 at 3:45 am #

A cashew cream base? WOW – this looks awesome!

7. Joanne September 18, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

Big bold flavors definitely satisfy with less food. Love these stuffed peppers! Super tasty.

8. Smitha November 13, 2015 at 7:28 pm #

Dear Deena,

I would love to try this recipe but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. The link to the Great British Chefs page works but I can only see 7 of your recipes listed there, none of them however, the one I want. I also tried the link posted on your facebook page but without success. What am I doing wrong?

• Deena Kakaya November 15, 2015 at 4:11 pm #

I will look into it and get back to you!