Carrot shrikhand in meringue nests

26 Sep

Carrot shrikhand in meringue nests

Carrots are pretty simple, aren’t they?

I have never really been one to be overly excited about a carrot, not even when it is dunked in the world’s best hummus and I was one of those that drew them to a side at school when they appeared as boiled or soggy sides during forgettable lunch times. I don’t feature them at Christmas and when a health visitor suggested that I wean my boy on boiled sticks of carrot, even I turned my nose. Whilst the foodie world fusses over damsons and aubergines, gelato and burrata here I am, talking to you about, well…carrots.

But, a couple of days ago Riverford sent me a generous bounty of perfectly fragranced and muddy carrots which, when the boy and I finished scrubbing, revealed to be some ultra-orange charms that tasted so sweet that it confused my mind a little. It was the kind of sweetness that you get when you roast a vegetable, you know, delicate but abundant. So then what to do with this princely amount?

Carrot shrikhand in meringue nests by Deena Kakaya

So I did what anyone who needs a question answering does these days, I put it out on social media (yes, let’s all roll our eyes a little at this, but look I haven’t turned to telling my two-year-old son how proud I am of him over Facebook yet, so there is still hope). Anyway, social media responses suggested pickle (I have been thinking of it since so this will follow in due course, with lemon or limes), carrot halwa, carrot cake, and carrot juice…all sounding fab huh?

Given that these carrots hold so much sweetness and colour I am starting ‘mission carrot’ with a sweet dish and that is my beloved Shrikhand.

Carrot shrikhand in meringue nests

Shrikhand is an Indian sweet dish made of strained yoghurt, which when it becomes thick and creamy is sweetened with sugar and then spiced with saffron, rose water, cardamom, pistachio and is so indulgent and lick-worthy. But you know me. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t fusion-it-up. Behold the carrot Shrikhand that is juicy, creamy, royal-feeling and perfectly naughty on a crisp and airy meringue.

For the full recipe head over to great british chefs

11 Responses to “Carrot shrikhand in meringue nests”

1. duodishes September 26, 2014 at 10:52 pm #

Funny you shared this recipe. A friend made something similar to this, but he called it carrot pudding. Yours looks a bit richer. Sounds delicious!

• Deena Kakaya September 30, 2014 at 12:00 am #

Ah, it must be carrot season 😉 glad you like it x

2. kellie anderson September 27, 2014 at 11:20 am #

It is interesting how different cultures use common vegetables, as the Twitter suggestions prove in this small sample (I didn’t see your tweet. I might have suggested a marmalade for keeping) I haven’t hear of shrikhand but it sounds very like a sweetened up labneh, and with similar flavourings. Lovely and so colourful as a pop against the snow-white meringues x

• Deena Kakaya September 29, 2014 at 11:59 pm #

Yes totally, my mum said pickle. Carrot Pickle seems popular!

What a lovely association for shrikhand, it is similar in texture, but can be sour unless sweetened. X

3. eastofedencook September 27, 2014 at 4:59 pm #

My husband finds carrots to be too sweet for his liking and thinks they should firmly stay in desserts. You ingenious recipe would make him very happy! The natural sweetness of the carrots and the crunch of the meringue is fantastic!

• Deena Kakaya September 29, 2014 at 11:58 pm #

You say the loveliest things, I really hope that you and your husband both enjoy this recipe. It’s been a while, I hope you are keeping very well x

4. littleblissbook September 29, 2014 at 11:53 pm #

These almost look too cute to eat, love the colors and presentation. Definitely have to try these to impress my guests.

xx Rakhi
    littleblissbook.com

• Deena Kakaya September 29, 2014 at 11:57 pm #

Thank you Rakhi, they do look pretty but I ate them messily 😉 I hope you’ll let me know if you and your guests enjoyed them.

5. Sophie33 October 2, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

What a very special recipe! So different from I am used too!
    I never tasted this before! Must make this recipe soon! It all looks very mouthwatering! 🙂

6. merysony October 21, 2014 at 8:38 am #

They are too cute to be eaten 🙂 !