Mexican spiced cauliflower in an almond-sesame crust

8 Nov

A few years ago I shared a recipe for crispy, tandoori spiced potatoes with BBC Good Food magazine and I have to admit that when they adjusted my gram flour based recipe to use plain flour, I was a little bit perturbed. Just a little; but I trust the editor, whom I admire and like lots so I went with it, and tried it out.

Mexican spiced cauliflower in an almond-sesame crust by Deena Kakaya

I wish I could convince myself to take that attitude more often in life, you know, just try it. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Maybe I would be living in a different country, carried out different jobs, different sports, and met new people and who knows what else? For now, I am learning to plunge a bit deeper, let go a little more, hold on a little less tightly and think a bit bigger, to be bolder.

I received a clean slate of a vegetable in this week’s Riverford box, a totally unmarked, brilliantly white and heavy cauliflower. I read recently that a celebrity chef called it the meat of the vegetarian world. Now I cannot say that this is a description that I find fitting, but what I interpret that to mean is that it’s a filling, bulky item that can easily be the main dish, rather than just one of those side dishes. I like it roasted, because it releases delicate sweet aromas and keeps that lightly firm bite!

Mexican spiced cauliflower in an almond-sesame crust by Deena Kakaya

Do you remember me talking about eating in a healthier way over recent posts? Have I gone on and on about that enough yet? No? Well OK then! My body is really crying out for some care so I am taking action. This recipe today uses my home made Mexican spice blend, none of the shop bought stuff. I have used no oil, and even the crumb for the crunchy cauliflower uses almonds and black sesame seeds rather that breadcrumbs. This is a vegan recipe but you could add an egg to the batter to give it a lighter, fluffier effect. I was pretty impressed that a wrap without cheese, with loads of green herby goodness and spice could taste like a weekday treat.

for the full recipe head over to great british chefs

22 Responses to “Mexican spiced cauliflower in an almond-sesame crust”

1. Katie @ Whole Nourishment November 9, 2014 at 7:31 am #

Oooh yeah, this is an amazing looking wrap, love especially how good the baked cauliflower bites look. Glad you’re giving your body what it needs, Deena. We can never go wrong with a meal in a wrap, Mexican spices, and cauliflower, can we? 3 of my favorite things, and two of which I’ll be posting about soon too. 😉 And this idea of feeling the fear and doing it anyway is one that I think about a lot. It’s not easy but so rewarding when we dig deep and discover the inner strength we’ve tapped into.

• Deena Kakaya November 12, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Oh you are posting something on this theme too? I will look forward to seeing it and I am sure it’ll be awesome.

Yes, feeling the fear and doing it anyway usually relates to doing something new and feels so good just to make a step forwards doesn’t it?

Thank you again for your generous comments. I have been so distracted lately that I haven’t kept up with blogging or commenting so it’s lovely to see that you haven’t forgotten about me! X

2. Elaine @ foodbod November 9, 2014 at 7:41 am #

Looks interesting…

3. matchamochimoo November 9, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

Thanks, it is a lovely dish, I get the Mexican spice blend from you now. 🙂

• Deena Kakaya November 11, 2014 at 11:26 pm #

Thank you! Hope you enjoy the spice blend x

4. mjskit November 10, 2014 at 4:31 am #

What a creative wrap, but then after looking at the recipe for the cauliflower, I would probably bypass the wrap and just eat the cauliflower. What tasty bites!

• Deena Kakaya November 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm #

Ha! That doesn’t sound like a bad idea zz

5. themuffinmyth November 10, 2014 at 10:01 am #

Deena this looks lovely! I adore crunchy cauliflower, and I just love the idea of Mexican spices together with the almond and sesame crust. Perfect! Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try this one!

• Deena Kakaya November 12, 2014 at 8:15 am #

Thank you lovely, quite a health home too eh? X

6. thespicyrd November 10, 2014 at 3:43 pm #

Yum! Love anything w/ Mexican spices, and your crust sounds delicious! Heading over to check out the recipe now. Hope you’re doing well Deena! xoxo

• Deena Kakaya November 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm #

It is so nice to hear from you my spicy friend, also fab to learn that you like this one! Hope you are well and I hope to learn more about your travels soon. X

7. kellie anderson November 11, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

Heading over to check out this gorgeous-sounding recipe. I don’t think of you as a ‘safe’ person, not with the flavours and textures you play with. However, most of us could do with feel the fear and do it anyway. Myself included.

• Deena Kakaya November 11, 2014 at 11:24 pm #

Hi Kellie, thank you my dear. I’ve only started to think in a potentially unsafe way over recent years but like to think that doesn’t correlate with my food attitude! Xx

8. coconutcraze November 11, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

This looks sexy with a fancy crust of almond and sesame. That Mexican spice blend is going to occupy the front row in my kitchen soon. Love the recipe and the pictures!

• Deena Kakaya November 11, 2014 at 11:22 pm #

Thank you, great to know that you’ll be trying the recipe for the spice mix! Please let me know how you like it x

9. karen278 November 12, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Bookmarked Deena to make soon, and can I just say what an inspired recipe, such flavours and textures, beautiful! Karen

• Deena Kakaya November 13, 2014 at 4:45 pm #

I’m so pleased that you will be making this one Karen, please let me know his you like it x

10. recipesfromapantry November 13, 2014 at 4:44 pm #