Indian spiced sweet potato filo tart

1 Jan

‘Make sure you switch the Christmas lights off before you go to sleep’. Who would have thought that this line would be enough to fill my eyes?

Indian spiced sweet potato filo tart  by Deena Kakaya

The list of ‘make sure you do’ starts about a week before my husband flies off on his looming foreign business trip and although many people have now presumed that I am used to it and now longer ask how I am, it still makes my heart sink a bit each time there I hear one of the many, concerned reminders.

‘Please don’t stay up too late’ and of course I get the text reminders about locking the doors and not falling asleep on the sofa and a week before he leaves, I listen to the repercussions of missing iron tablets. Every burden and apprehension seems magnified in the silence of the evening, but I’m sitting here with phone in hand and virtually supporting friends who have horrible bosses, kids going through a difficult phase and husbands that just don’t get it. I do sympathise and sincerely want to help. At the same time, I want to remind them that they have jobs, albeit with manager woes. They have the smiles of children filling their hearts, as well as the mental draining that they bring with them and they have a friend that is a husband, even though they may be a long-distance one at time.

It might be easy at times like this to wallow; to sleep erratically, to overthink and to fall quiet. It might be easy to not eat very well, for eating for one isn’t much fun I think. But, I have my little companion don’t I? And the wells dry as I smile through writing this. My best buddy told me today that we should make fresh pesto pasta and he wasn’t kidding. I thought he was but when we finished the dish he exclaimed, ‘mumma thank you, I told you I wanted green pesto pasta’. So we eat well. At just two, he will throughout the day randomly declare his love for me and today he told me, ‘daddy’s gone to America, but you are my best friend and so can we go to borough market’, so I laughed. Because the afternoons are cold we went bowling with friends, and so we talked and I involuntarily chased him around each time he scored and roared in delight. Then we cooked, in a very much collaborative way and eggs are, I realise, fabulous for easy cooking with kids.

This is a light and sweet tart, deep and filling and great for picking and returning to. It’s easy and a soul-soother too. I lightly cooked the sweet potato first with the spices and the result after some time in the oven was sweeter than I expected, but in a really good way. The spices come through wonderfully, but not too strongly and that is a good thing as I know that you will understand if you cook with eggs. Pays to be kind to yourself, doesn’t it.

Indian spiced sweet potato filo tart  by Deena Kakaya

for the full recipe head over to great british chefs

13 Responses to “Indian spiced sweet potato filo tart”

1. Sally January 1, 2015 at 12:22 pm #

Happy New Year Deena. I hope you don’t have to experience too much time on your own during 2015 but it sounds as though you are making the best of it.

• Deena Kakaya January 5, 2015 at 11:04 am #

Happy new year Sally, I hope that the festive period was a wonderful one for you and your family.

More time alone on the horizon it appears but lots of new and happy stuff to look forward to too xx

2. Deb|EastofEdenCooking January 1, 2015 at 6:18 pm #

Life is so bittersweet. I suppose all we can do in live in the moment and take joy as it arrives at our doorstep. I would be very joy filled with a slice of the luscious Sweet Potato Tart! A wonderful recipe for the New Year!

• Deena Kakaya January 5, 2015 at 11:07 am #

Ah Deb, so utterly true. There is balance in every shade of life, we hope. X

3. thejameskitchen January 2, 2015 at 8:39 am #

What an intriguingly beautiful tart, Deena, I love the flavours you are using and have a Happy New Year without many of those lonely moments. N xx

• Deena Kakaya January 5, 2015 at 11:08 am #

Oh thank you, happy new year my friend x

4. kellie anderson January 2, 2015 at 1:46 pm #

What a sweet and wise little man you have, Deena.My husband doesn’t travel terribly often but when he does it is to place like Japan and Australia, so I kind of know what you mean. It certainly can be hard to look after yourself but having a wee one keeps you right, and eating well and out from under the duvet. I love your honest writing, sometimes bittersweet, sometimes joyous – always worth reading and reflecting upon. Wising you and your family all the very best for 2015. I hope to meet you in the radiant flesh at some point this year. Until then I shall content myself with your thoughtful and delicious posts. 🙂 xx

• Deena Kakaya January 5, 2015 at 11:09 am #

Kellie, never have I head a comment from you and not felt warmth and positive energy. Thank you. Thank you for being a lovely friend in the last year and please please let me know if you can make time for me on your next visit to London x

5. joycevandenbergporter January 3, 2015 at 8:31 pm #

Looks delicious!

6. Katie @ Whole Nourishment January 4, 2015 at 5:05 pm #

I know the partner travel routine all too well. It’s nice that you’ve found (or made) a routine that works for you and your son. This tart looks scrumptious. I like the green chilies in it.

• Deena Kakaya January 5, 2015 at 11:10 am #

Katie you eat so well for one that I feel naughty! And yes, green chillies are fabulously good with eggs xx

7. Joanne January 6, 2015 at 12:37 pm #

Aww your little sweetheart sounds so cute! Definitely a great companion while your husband is away. 🙂 I love the sound of this tart! Off to check out the recipe!

• Deena Kakaya January 6, 2015 at 3:34 pm #

Thanks Joanne, thank goodness for balance x