Buckwheat, banana and passion fruit pancakes

30 Jan

Buckwheat, banana and passion fruit pancakes

On my first, accidental date with my now-husband he asked the waiter, ‘can I have some passion please’, whilst maintaining purposeful and unbroken eye contact with me. I am still cringing about this but laughing too and as they say, they can either keep you laughing or crying.

Roughly 16 years ago (ouch, that many) he persuaded me to go on a visit to a new temple, which had become something of a tourist destination for its grandeur and exquisite architecture. Reluctantly I agreed, but I did caveat my interest by declaring no particular devotion towards the central saints revered by worshippers in the temple. But we went and somehow, the ‘group of visitors’ ended up being just he and I.

Buckwheat, banana and passion fruit pancakes

We, as two university students travelled by bus and foot and we talked, laughed and ate (samosa, dhokla, chutney smothered sandwiches) through the whole journey. I could see those young, stress-free eyes gleam with that new awe and it was quite charming.  We didn’t check emails on our phones and that’s not just because the facility didn’t exist back then. There was no social media, no phone calls or any other disturbance because we didn’t want, or need it. We were very young so there was none of that screening process happening in my mind, unlike some of my friends who screen suitors now; does he have his own property, is he tidy, is he career conscious, what are his friends like, does he have savings, and does he want/have children? For us then, it was very simple.

This weekend gone I was determined to get something of a lie in, I had been up until 2am preparing lectures after a whole day busying around my toddler. One of the things I find hardest to stick to in terms of maintaining a healthy lifestyle is actually just getting enough sleep. So I asked my husband to give my boy breakfast, whilst I sleepily addressed the very important matter of what my body was craving. Unlike those days of care-free eating my body is now giving me warning signals (as well as my doctor) and though weight isn’t the challenge here, my family has a history of diabetes and I cannot fight the genes with sugar and win. I had never really seriously considered buckwheat pancakes as an alternative to the plain flour version; the healthy option isn’t usually as tasty is it? Well, let me tell you my friends, these are so fluffy and light that I had to share the recipe with you. They are moist and airy, not gritty or clumpy at all so don’t worry on that front; I didn’t add any sugar but you could if you really wanted to. The banana is chopped into small pieces rather than mashed to avoid making them heavy and the passion…it comes through. I used pure maple syrup on top, but just a few drops. Pancake day, or Shrove Tuesday is coming up remember…

Buckwheat, banana and passion fruit pancakes

So then, I walked over to my husband who had his nose in emails and mortgage renewal papers and asked him if he wanted some passion.

for the full recipe head over to great british chefs

23 Responses to “Buckwheat, banana and passion fruit pancakes”

1. anita January 31, 2015 at 4:47 am #

Such a cute first date story! I use buckwheat groats in my porridge and I love it. Make pancakes from it as a great idea. Love the pictures

• Deena Kakaya January 31, 2015 at 9:28 am #

Buckwheat groats in porridge, what do you like to flavour it with. It’s always lovely to hear from you Anita x

2. Katie @ Whole Nourishment January 31, 2015 at 6:37 am #

Hi Deena, I happen to love buckwheat pancakes. I use coconut flour in addition to give them a little natural sweetness inherent to coconut flour. And they’re good but yours look and sound really fluffy and soft. Yum, and I love love the passion fruit with it (and the passion story ;-)!

And your link to GBC isn’t working, by the way. But I found it anyways.

• Deena Kakaya January 31, 2015 at 9:27 am #

Hi Katie! Thank you and I will try the coconut flour addition, j like the sound of it. Side portion of passion too eh xx

3. themuffinmyth January 31, 2015 at 9:25 am #

Lovely recipe, Deena! I adore buckwheat pancakes and will be sure to try your buckwheat version!

4. kellie anderson January 31, 2015 at 10:03 am #

I LOVE passion fruits on pancakes! I thought I was a bit of a weirdo, but obvs not. 🙂 Their aroma makes me happy instantly. Lovely photos Deena

• Deena Kakaya February 3, 2015 at 12:07 am #

Blushing about your comment regarding the pictures Kellie! Many thanks xx

5. thejameskitchen January 31, 2015 at 1:40 pm #

These sound so wonderful, I love a good buckwheat pancake! The combination of banana and passion fruit makes those exceptional. N xx

6. eastofedencook January 31, 2015 at 10:47 pm #

Fresh fruit with pancakes i so wonderful! I never thought to add passion fruit but what a magical idea for a Valentine’s Day breakfast!

7. Fiver Feeds February 1, 2015 at 8:38 pm #

Deena, your recipes are simply amazing, I enjoy reading your blog.

• Deena Kakaya February 1, 2015 at 9:05 pm #

That’s so kind and encouraging of you, thanks so very much xx

8. mjskitchen February 2, 2015 at 4:28 am #

With your busy schedule you obviously don’t have time to relax before going to bed. No wonder you can’t sleep. Well, at least you still know how to make yourself and your family a healthy and delicious breakfast. These do look fluffy and tender. Love the use of the buckwheat flour!

• Deena Kakaya February 3, 2015 at 12:06 am #

I think it’s just the lack in hours of sleep that’s driving me to fall to pieces! You are so right, there’s promise in the form of this breakfast! X

9. Joanne February 5, 2015 at 12:33 pm #

I actually love buckwheat pancakes even more than white flour pancakes! The nutty flavor somehow fits them so well.

• Deena Kakaya February 5, 2015 at 9:24 pm #

I hadn’t thought of it that way, but so true. X

10. Mike February 8, 2015 at 12:24 am #

I love this story Deena.
    Side note: pancakes are not just for Shrove Tuesday.

• Deena Kakaya February 8, 2015 at 12:44 am #

Thanks Mike and I totally agree, pancakes are welcome in our home any day 😉

11. Sadia Mohamed February 12, 2015 at 3:00 pm #

Really a very cute story. Enjoyed reading it.
    And pancakes looks very nice and airy. Love the color of it too.

12. Sophie33 February 14, 2015 at 2:55 pm #

I made them & loved them so much too! x